If you are like many other families in America, you will be getting together with family this Thanksgiving. If you are the lucky one tasked with hosting the get-together, you will most likely spend some time sprucing up your space.
This is a time when homeowners often start longing for an upgrade in one area of their home or another. The bathroom is one of the most common places your guests will visit at least once while in your home. There’s no doubt you want it to look nice.
While the week before Thanksgiving is probably not the best time to decide to do a complete bathroom remodel, there are some simple things you can do to give your bathroom a fresh look for the holidays.
Keep reading for some fantastic tips that will make you feel more confident about your current bathroom situation.
Before getting started on anything else, it is a good idea to thoroughly clean the entire bathroom. Of course, there is the regular maintenance cleaning, but we’re talking about getting down to the nitty-gritty—a full, top-to-bottom cleaning.
- Ceiling– Dust and clean the cobwebs from off of the ceiling. If there are any dirty spots, pull out the ladder and scrub them off.
- Walls– Give the walls a good wipe-down with a simple mixture of dish soap and warm water. Take note of any dings or paint chips; we’ll address those in a minute.
- Shower And Bathtub– Scrub off the soap scum from the walls and doors of your shower and from the sides of the bathtub. Mold and mildew love to take up residence in bathrooms, especially in showers and bathtubs. If you notice any, use a bleach-based cleaning product or undiluted vinegar to evict those unwanted guests.
- Faucets– Unsightly hard water stains commonly accumulate on faucets, making them appear worn and dirty. You can use fresh lemons, vinegar, or a combination of the two, to eliminate hard water stains and breathe new life into your faucets.
- Floors– If your floors have seen better days, getting down on your hands and knees, Cinderella-style, will help them sparkle like new. If you have tile, use a toothbrush to scrub your grout clean.
To continue your deep cleaning, you should take inventory of all of the items in your bathroom. Remove anything you don’t use or anything that doesn’t belong in the bathroom.
Clutter can be very unsightly and diminish the beauty of even the nicest of bathrooms. Shower organizers, under sink bins, etc. are all great ways to improve the look of your bathroom by giving it a cleaner look. As a bonus, it will appear bigger as well.
Add A Fresh Coat Of Paint
One of the best ways to spruce up your bathroom is to give it a paint job. Applying a fresh coat of paint is a relatively simple way to give your bathroom a fresh, new look. You could easily have your bathroom painted in a day.
If you don’t want to paint the entire bathroom, at least fix any unattractive dings or chipped paint. This will work best if you have some paint left over from the previous paint job. If not, it can be hard to match the paint color perfectly, so you may choose to do the full paint job afterall.
Update Your Decor
Updating the theme and decor of your bathroom is another great way to give it a new look. A few things to consider updating are:
- Towels– Throw out those old, dingy, discolored towels and replace them with new ones. New towels can give your bathroom a spa-like feeling.
- Rugs– Bathroom rugs can be a breeding ground for germs and should be replaced at least every two years. Old rugs can also harbor unpleasant odors. Fresh rugs will give your bathroom a crisp, clean look and possibly improve the overall smell.
- Artwork– Artwork can enhance any space, bathrooms included. So, consider adding some artwork to your bathroom or replacing the current artwork with something new.
- Mirror– Changing a rectangular mirror to a round one can soften the whole look of your bathroom. A different mirror will make it seem like a completely different bathroom.
- Hardware– Change out your bathroom hardware, such as cabinet knobs, towel hooks, and doorknobs, for an easy, updated look.
- Faucets– If, after cleaning, you still aren’t happy with your faucets, go to your local hardware store or look online to find some new favorites. Faucets are pretty simple to change out without needing to hire a plumber.
- Lighting– Brighten up your bathroom with a new light fixture. If you aren’t comfortable changing this out by yourself, or if it’s not allowed in your area without an electrician, you can simply update the shades on your current fixture.
There’s nothing like the prospect of having company over to make you scrutinize the state of your home. While we’re not implying that it needs to be perfect by any means, sprucing up a few things can help you feel more confident as your guests arrive.
Then, after the new year, you can schedule a full bathroom remodel with a contractor, such as Home Remodel Pro. Our Austin bathroom remodel experts know exactly how to make your bathroom dreams come true. Your guests will be very impressed with (and may be just a little bit jealous of) your stunning new bathroom next year.